A Christmas Quiz:
1. Christmas presents are thought to have originated:
a) Around the time of the winter solstice was during the Roman festival of the Kalends
b) About three hundred years ago as gifts to the Lord of the Manor
c) Copying the wise men in the Christmas story
2. Santa Claus is thought to have originated:
a) In Norway in the 12th century
b) In the 4th century with Saint Nicholas, Bishop of Myra in present day Turkey
c) In 1435 with the death of Claus of Greenland
3. In the Nativity story which is the correct order of arrival?
a) Angels, wise men, shepherds
b) Wise men, shepherds, angels
c) Angels, shepherds, wise men
4. How many Panto traditions can you think of, i.e. things that are now traditionally part of a Pantomime?
5. Christmas Crackers have their origins in:
a) Medieval times to ward off evil spirits
b) The Far East to welcome in New Year originally and then transferred to Christmas
c) Created in 1847 by an English confectioner and stationery manufacturer, while in Paris
6. In the Christmas story, which King wanted to kill baby Jesus and why?
7. Which Christmas carol includes the lyrics ' all seated on the ground, the angel of the Lord came down and glory shone around'?
8. Which English author wrote the book ‘A Christmas Carol’?
9. Which spirit based sauce is traditionally poured over Christmas pudding?
10. On the fifth day of Christmas, what present did my true love give to me according to the song?
11. What three things do Christmas Crackers normally contain?
12. Why did Mary & Joseph have to go to Bethlehem?
13. Which fictional land never has a Christmas but it's always winter?
14. Name the Angel that brought the news that Jesus was to be born to Mary?
15. Which Christmas carol contains the words “Bearing gifts we traverse afar”
16. What is Scrooge's Christian name?
17. What coin used to be traditionally put in a Christmas pudding?
18. London's Trafalgar Square Christmas tree is traditionally given by which country?
19. Name three of Santa’s eight reindeer
20. From which country does the poinsettia plant originate?
21. How many days are on a traditional Advent Calendar?
22. What is the last day of the Christmas period called?
23. What fruit is used to make a Christingle?
24. Which royal couple started off the fashion for Christmas trees in Britain?
25. What’s the name of the period leading up to Christmas?
26. What country did Mary & Joseph and Jesus flee to?
27. Which heroine had two ugly sisters?
28. Where were Mary & Joseph living before they went to Bethlehem?
29. Where are small gifts traditionally put on Christmas Eve?
30. Where are larger presents traditionally put on Christmas Eve?
31. As you finish singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," what desert do you ask for?
32. Which British Monarch first broadcast a Christmas message to the nation
33. What sort of Christmas did Bing Crosby dream of?
34. What does the traditional Christmas toast Wassail mean?
35. What was the name of the man who welcomed baby Jesus into the Temple?
Top of Page